1. Does JFKS charge tuition?
No, the John F. Kennedy School is a public school and therefore does not charge tuition.
2. Can students living in Brandenburg apply to JFKS?
Admission is contingent upon the applicant being registered as living within Berlin’s city limits (see para. I, 1 of the “Admissions Regulations”). For applicants moving to Berlin, proof of residency in Berlin must be submitted on August 1.
3. When is the deadline for students’ applications?
Please see: Application periods
4. When will the admission decisions for the next school year be made, when will we receive confirmation about our child being admitted or not?
The Entrance Class lottery takes place in April, afterwards official admissions letters will be sent out to Entrance Class parents. Admissions letters for High School students (grades 7-12) will be sent out by the end of May, for the Elementary School (grades 1-6) by end of June. Please note that late admission is possible due to withdrawals or no-shows. Your application is valid and will be considered for late admission until September 30.
5. Is there a probation period for new students at JFKS?
The probation period for students in the ES is one year, for students in the HS one semester.
6. Does JFKS offer an Open House to visit the school?
Currently, we do not offer school tours, in-person meetings or open house events. Please contact Annika von Maydell at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have specific questions or contact the admission office during their office hours.
7. Does JFKS have boarding facilities?
The John F. Kennedy School does not have boarding facilities.
8. Which diplomas do students at JFKS work towards?
Students at the John F. Kennedy School work towards the German Abitur, the American High School Diploma and Advanced Placement Program, or towards both. JFKS does not offer the IB program.
9. Do students applying to JFKS have to have prior knowledge of English and / or German?
Students applying to Grades 1 through 12 have to be fluent in English, but not in German. Please visit more information on our Language Program.
10. Does JFKS offer accommodations for Special Needs students?
Yes, JFKS does offer accommodations for Special Needs students. Please visit JFKS Student Support Services.
11. When we request a ‘transfer’ on the application for a Berlin school, can we list JFKS as a “Wunschschule”?
Listing JFKS as a desired school does not have any affect on the admission process and does not guarantee admission.
This post is also available in: Deutsch